Tuesday, September 25, 2007

My Album concept,1st song [Cotton Eyed Joe]

Now I am going to share my experience during I am doing my music and while I am in the recording studio...

My album concept is more to fusion style, fusion style it means that a fews style combine in one song. For example, Hip Hop plus Rock plus Jazz and then finally turn into Pop and so on.I started learn harmonica at the age of 14, and during that time, I have listen to a lot of harmonica music. Over 90% harmonica music is harmonica original compositions and classical music. I love both of music genre very much,and during that time I dislike Dance music, especially Techno, Trance and so on..... I feel that Dance music are very anoying......

I study music at the age of 19 after I have graduated from my secondary school, I never knew that the world of music is so huge..... Start from there, I have learn a lot of music knowledge and play around with all my college friends. I started love others music genre, and from there, it influence me a lot on my music thinking..... Started from there, I listen to others music and seldom listen to harmonica music. Such as Jazz, Rock, RnB, Pop, Fusion, Swing, Big Band, Bounce, Techno and so on......

From there, I change my thinking, and I think of why not harmonica music combine with others music style?? So I do a lot of performance and experiment on it. The concept of my album slowly develop. This is my 1st EP album, there are 5 songs inside. The 1st song is Cotton Eyed Joe. This is the Rednex original country dance music, I watched Vanessa Mae live performance DVD at England. She play this song during her concert, I love it so much. Then I started my idea why not I am using 10 holes diatonic (Blues Harp)to play this song?? So I started doing the music programing on this song. I change the style into more techno feel, hahahaha.....It feel more energetic, young, powerfull and futuristic......

During my recording in studio, the first time recording I sue up nearly 4 hours to record this song. Why it take so long?? because me and my sound engineer keep seacrhing for the right harmonica sound for this song. Actually, I have a fews different branding types of harmonica. Althought is the same key, but the characteristic of each harmonica is different.Different characteristic will have different color tone. That's why we use up so many hours to record. But at the end, I felt very tired and the first recording was fail......

The second recording, I use up to 2 hours to finish the recording. Because of the first time recording experience, I use different types of harmonica to record this song. I have use 3 types of 10 holes diatonic harmonica to record this song. Finally, My engineer and me, both of us is so satisfied on the result.

You can listen to the demo here, the whole song is 3 mins 30 second plus, but this demo version is just 1 mins only. It is the starting part of the song.... Hope you will enjoy it and like it....




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.